Charging and Remissions
The Ruth Gorse Academy recognises the key role that activities, including trips, residentials, extra-curricular clubs and groups can provide in expanding the student experience and underpinning the curriculum. We want to ensure all students, irrelevant of their financial position, are able to experience activities. As a parent / carer it is important you are aware of our charging and remissions policy. A full copy of the policy can be found here, we have outlined the key information for you below.
Charges cannot be made for:
- Education provided during school hours (including the supply of any materials, books, instruments or other equipment).
- Education provided outside school hours if it is part of the National Curriculum, or part of a syllabus for a prescribed public examination that the student is being prepared for at the school, or part of religious education.
- Tuition for students learning to play musical instruments if the tuition is required as part of the National Curriculum, or part of a syllabus for a prescribed public examination that the student is being prepared for at the school, or part of religious education.
- Education provided on any trip that takes place during school hours.
- Education provided on any trip that takes place outside school hours if it is part of the National Curriculum, or part of a syllabus for a prescribed public examination that the student is being prepared for at the school, or part of religious education.
- Entry for a prescribed public examination, if the student has been prepared for it at the school.
- Examination re-sits, if the student is being prepared for the re-sit at the school.
- Transporting registered students to or from the school premises, where the local education authority has a statutory obligation to provide transport.
- Transport provided in connection with an educational trip.
Charges may be made for:
- Board and lodging on residential visits (not to exceed the costs)
- The costs for an individual child for activities wholly or mainly outside school hours for;
– Materials and equipment
– Non-teaching staff costs
– Entrance fees
– Insurance costs.
- Vocal and musical instrument tuition.
- Re-sits for public examinations where no further preparation has been provided by the school.
- Examination fees where a student fails without good reason to sit the exam.
- Any other education, transport or examinations where no further preparation has been provided by the school.
- Any other education, transport or examination fee unless charges are specifically prohibited.
- Breakages and replacements as a result of damages caused wilfully or negligently by students.
- Extra-curricular activities and school clubs.
- Any extended school activity.
- Damage/ vandalism/loss to and of school property.
- School uniform (for 2016/17 all Year 7 students receive their first red overcoat free of charge).
- Community Use/ Lettings/ (arrangements for the letting of school premises and charges are contained in the Letting Charges Policy).
- Contribution to materials for Innovation Design (Design Technology).
- Locker deposit.
- Voluntary contribution to School Fund.
Children whose parents/ carers are in receipt of the following support payments will, in addition to having a free school lunch entitlement, also be entitled to the remission of charges for board and lodging costs during residential school trips. The relevant support payments are;
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Support under Part 6 if the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, where the parent is not entitled to Working Tax Credit and whose annual income (as assessed by the Inland Revenue) does not exceed £16190 for 2010-2011 (in respect of this item account will need to be taken of any revision to the amount)
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- An income related employment and support allowance
The Governing Body will determine and publish annually the price to be charged for school meals. For 2017/18 a standard school meal (main, dessert and drink will be £2.05). Please click here to see the full price of our school meals.